I won’t lie… I have nothing to compare this “fried chicken” to as I have never actually had real fried chicken. BUT I will say that this recipe is uber yummy and healthy, coming from The Biggest Loser Cookbook.
I would love someone who knows real fried chicken to make this and let me know their thoughts.
- 3 Tbsp fat-free plain yogurt
- 4 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh oregano leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves. chopped
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 4 Tbsp Ian’s Whole Wheat Panko Breadcrumbs
- 4 Tbsp Wasa Light Rye Crispbread, finely crushed
- 2 small 1/4-pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of visible fat
- Mustard or low-fat, low-sodium marinara sauce to taste (optional)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly mist a small nonstick baking sheet with olive oil spray.
In a medium shallow bowl, combine the yogurt, basil, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir to mix well.
Place 2 tablespoons of bread crumbs or crushed crispbread in another medium shallow bowl. Set next to the yogurt mixture. Dip one chicken breast into the yogurt mixture to coat. Transfer to the crumbs to coat evenly. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Add the remaining two tablespoons crumbs to the owl. Repeat the procedure with the second breast. Place on the baking sheet, not touching the other breast.
Bake for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until no longer pink. Serve immediately with mustard or marinara sauce on the side, if desired.