When I get approached to style an outfit, I get excited. But when I’m asked to style a few outfits for a store I shop at faithfully, I get all sorts’ of giddy. Hudson’s Bay asked me to style a few pieces from their INC International Concepts line showing off its versatility; obviously I agreed. Not only do I love Hudson’s Bay and their many clothing lines, but versatility is what I look for in every piece of clothing that enters my wardrobe. My closet is by no means a walk-in my friends, each piece must be chosen carefully and strategically. Let me tell you about a totally inappropriate way I determine if an article of clothing is worth a place in my closet including it’s price tag. It’s really simple math folks, I break it down into how many ways I can wear it.
For example, for number sake let’s say I fall in love with a dress that’s $100, here is how I can get on the good-ship-comfortable with dropping that kind of money on a single wardrobe item:
- Can it be worn casually; a night out with girlfriends?
- Can it be dolled up; a night out with the man?
If I answer yes to both, it means the dress can really be considered as two and therefore the price tag is cut in half. Is the dress worth $50 to me, if so, then it comes with me to the register. Pretty ridiculous math eh? I like to think one of my specialties is being able to flawlessly dress something up and down (I’m talkin’ pearls with jeans baby!), and based on my shopping mathematics, I should never shop alone. Ever!
Now that we’re done with my lesson in retail math, let me tell you how much I love that fact that I was asked to style 2 outfits for Hudson’s Bay and INC International Concepts. In honor of the line’s 30th anniversary, these pieces along with the others in the line will be available for 30% off, in-store and online from May 15-21 (no promo code required); so without further ado, let me tell you about the pieces I received. I was given a gorgeously bold printed black and white maxi dress that I knew I was going to douse in some serious pattern-play (because it’s what we do!). The second piece I got was a ridiculously comfortable tunic that is all sorts’ of adorable yet I chose to make sexy (because, hello versatility!, and when do we ever get to combine sexy with comfort?).
MIXING PRINTS & PATTERNS
Although it sounds scary, layering patterns doesn’t have to be daunting (or maybe just a little, you’ll feel more badass wearing it that way)
Here are a few ways I like to clash, and mix my prints:
1. I try and keep one print dominate
2. I choose 1 color, and allow my pattern budget to be unlimited
3. Dress top to bottom in prints and patterns and mellow it out with a neutral top layer (ie: chambray button up)
4. I choose the same pattern, polka dots, and vary the size of them
5. I do the same, but different; red leopard on top with tan leopard on the bottom
Dress c/o Hudson’s Bay (INC International Concepts)
Regular Price: $109.00 // On Sale: $76.30
ACCESSORIZING A BASIC
When it comes to accessorizing, anything goes. Give yourself a blank canvas and let yourself go.
Here are a few ways I like to accessorize a basic:
1. When I go dramatic with my earring, I will likely forego a necklace
2. Stacking accessories is my favorite; bracelets, rings, and necklaces
3. Hats; never pass up a hat you feel a connection with. An outfit can always be topped with a hat
4. 1 pair of sunglasses just won’t do; find at least 3 different styles you love that you can rotate
5. I have a go-to casual set (long necklace, charm bracelet, and diamonds studs) I will always put on when I’m in a rush
Tunic c/o Hudson’s Bay (INC International Concepts)
Regular Price: $79.00 // On Sale: $55.30
Disclosure: I am part of The Hudson’s Bay Company and I.N.C campaign with Influence Central and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. But as always, the opinions on this blog are my own.